Day 18 –
One of the most popular questions I am now receiving as I am past the midway point of this Whole30 food experiment is: “Are you feeling any better?”
And the answer to that is YES!
Here’s what has gotten better and what hasn’t changed yet:
- I am sleeping pretty solid and not waking up throughout the night
- I am able to stay up later and still get up early without feeling exhausted
- The everyday waves of nausea have disappeared
- Other than the earliest adjustment days, I haven’t had a single headache
- I have more energy
- My mental clarity has vastly improved
- I am able to focus more – and stay focused
- My physical energy is such that I can walk my miles and work at night and still have the ability to do thinkerly work (aka writing and such)
- My arm doesn’t ache when I take photos
- Also, I’m not wiped out after a photo shoot or work
- My mood has stayed pretty even
- Ladies – my cycle was cramp-free, and my mood stayed pretty even, as did my energy
- My runny nose and such have improved (but I also believe part of that issue is that I’m allergic to my pets, which is whatever because I’m not getting rid of them. This still might improve as I go, though.)
- The only stomach pain I’ve had came from eating a bit too much sweet potato. I believe I read that too much can cause pain sometimes. (But they sure are danged tasty!)
- My tremors seem to have gone away
- I spent over an hour under bright lights (Walmart!) and did NOT start shaking badly or feeling dizzy at any point
Basically, the one thing I can say that hasn’t really changed yet is the tingling, numbness, and ice cold feelings I get on my right side. However, since pain isn’t accompanying said issues, I’m still counting this as an improvement. Plus, I still have miles to go (neurological issues can take longer to heal), as well as 12 days of elimination and clean eating, so who knows. I’m still hopeful, but I can honestly say that if it doesn’t go away, as long as the pain and the exhaustion does stay away, I can totally manage. I mean, I’ve gone over a year and half already, right?
Day 19 –
Last night I went to bed around 10 and intended to get up bright and early again. However, when the alarm went off at 5:00, I decided to cut myself some slack. It’s Saturday, right? And a holy weekend, so I slept in until 8 (oh my cow, my dogs let me sleep!) and decided not to walk at all this weekend. A weekend of rest (ish…since I still have to work).
My body has been reflective of the weather today – grey and sleepy. Mind-wise, I’m fine. Mood-wise, I feel a little cranky. Actually, that was last night. So far, I’m not too cranky today. But sometimes the J.O.B. gets to me. I’m probably just preaching to the choir here.
I’ve been extremely hungry all day. While I’ve been eating enough and well, some days are just hungrier than ever. I really think being at the restaurant doesn’t help, but also when my daughter made herself some toast today, my stomach responded with great desire. So much so that I stopped trying to breathe through my nose. I literally just said yesterday that when it’s time to try some reintroduction, I probably won’t even try grains at all.
Today I have wanted bread more than ever. GIVE.ME.BREAD. Now!
Instead, I made myself a little stir-fry of chicken (from the whole chicken I made the other day), green peppers, and onions, with an egg. DELICIOUS! But in all honestly, I still wanted bread. Bread and butter and an egg roll and a bowl of my daughter’s peanut butter Cheerios. Yeah, truth.
But I’m strong and I won’t break. My will is iron.
After today, there are only 10 more days before I officially reach the end of this food experiment. I am at the point now where it just feels like a way of life instead of deprivation. When I feel the cravings the strongest, I just remind myself that feeling awesome all day long and sleeping well all night is so much bigger and better than a piece of toast.
Nothing tastes as good as energy and being pain-free feels. Period.